Sunday, September 7, 2008

In the presence of great men.

We had our regional stake conference today at the Marriot center. We had no idea who was speaking, but were excited to learn from a POSSIBLE general authority. It turned out that President Uchtdorf and President Packer were both on the schedule to speak and both were sitting about one 100 yards in front of me! AWESOME.

I thought it was funny that there were SO many mormon kids flocking to the Marriot center...they couldn't even all fit on the street corner.

President Packer related many historical stories to us and it was fun the learn more about Utah's past and the early saints. I think church history may be my favorite gospel subject. The early saints that made their journey to Zion truly amaze me. The words to the hymn "Come, Come Ye Saints" I think show their real courage..."And should we die before our journey's through, Happy day! All is well." Imagnie loosing all of your loved ones as some did, but still rejoicing the fact that you were building the Kingdom og God! At EFY in the old Nauvoo cemetery we sang that song. It was kind of a somber experience but a power witness of the work they died doing.
As President Uchtdorf spoke, I kept gawking at his amazing composure! He stood so sure and confident in front of thousands of students. He first bore his testimony of President Monson's calling, and continued to call all the worthy young men to serve missions. He talked about how to prepare and the blessings that will come from it. I felt impressed that even though it may be hard for me to have my best friend be so terribly far away, it is where he needs to be. The Lord needs his service as much as Brennen needs the growth.

I love this gospel. I love that when I feel sad or troubled, my Savior is so quick to comfort me.

PS
Mandi my email is ohbabyoh8ty@yahoo.com 8] i didnt know how else to tell you because I don't have your email for some reason!

4 comments:

Jeff and Janet Kirk said...

Did you love! Elder Hollands talk? and we were just at Liberty jail a few weeks ago. Couldnt see you in the crowd (bummer)but we heard and saw it all on the computer stream. Have a great week sweetheart!
love
mom and dad

Jay and Lindy said...

Hey Jessi!
Wow, sounds like things at the Y are going great! My freshman year of college was some of the best times ever, and I'm sure it'll be the same for you. Congrats to the bf!
-Lindy and Jay

Unknown said...

So jealous of your general authority proximity. I did listen to Elder Holland though, AWESOME!

Mandi said...

Jessi, oh how I miss the amazing spiritual experiances while at the Y. It is so awesome to see, hear and be in the presence of general authorities so often. I remember being like a sponge there! I am so glad I was included in the post, I feel special. I sent you an invite!:)

About Me

My photo
Who knew that life could be so fun? My philosophy is that anyone can find joy. You just have to look in the right places! My goal is to never stop looking for and adding to the list of things that bring me joy.